Tuesday 21 October 2014

Back doing the hexagons.

I really thought I had enough of the hexagon flowers. And in fact I do, but not enough of the pale green eau de nil. I found a strip to make just enough more of them.
I have a beam compass but the chaos of the studio meant I could not find the beam. Two choices, either keep hunting and lose more time or just measure it out over and over again until I could make a big circle and join up the dots. I opted for the latter. The circle has an 18" radius so will measure about 38" because I am not lining up the hexagons inside the circle.
This is as far as I got before I realised the lack of eau de nil.
And yet more vintage chintzes.
Yet again Laura Ashley reproductions printed and glazed in Holland in the 1980s.

Meanwhile I  still hate Windows 8.1 and will probably download the Classic Shell but I want to get my photos and files off my old hard drive first.

And something more serious. Ebola. My daughter's best friend Holly is out in Sierra Leone working for Oxfam. She is not nursing or being a doctor but nonetheless she is out there working. She has learnt how they now greet people, not by a handshake, but the Ebola greeting of putting your hand on your chest.  She met Mary, a community health worker who said ''One of my friends family, 10 of them are all dead in one house. If you are on Twitter you can follow Holly here. If you are not, then please donate to Oxfam in the UK, Oxfam in the USA, or Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders). 
It is no exaggeration to say Holly and everyone working in the Ebola stricken regions have put their lives on the line to help. The least we can do is give some cash.  
 You can hear Holly here on the BBC this afternoon.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FAQDvpyln8&feature=youtu.be

3 comments:

  1. Your quilt is looking beautiful. Love the chintz fabric. Holly is a very giving and brave girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you've still got computer issues, that's always so draining. I love the Laura Ashley but won't think too much about the hex's as I have a weak spot for them and don't need another WIP!

    Your daughter's friend is courageous to head straight into the Ebola storm as she is, what a brave woman.

    ReplyDelete